Wake County is home to an active and talented community of technology workers, entrepreneurs, start-ups and other like-minded individuals interested in using their time and talents to improve life in their neighborhoods and communities. We are engaging with them to share resources and create better outcomes, together.
Civic Tech Focus Areas
Each year, the County collaborates with our civic tech community to identify several initiatives related to the County’s Goals and Objectives. These initiatives are then circulated throughout the civic tech community and throughout the year, County staff subject matter experts and civic-minded citizens come together to implement these specific initiatives for the benefit of all County residents. Additionally, the County staff and civic tech leaders also identify some core Goal areas to use as “themes” for civic tech events that occur throughout the year. These themes are used to help focus the new and creative projects that come out of the numerous civic tech events such as CityCamp NC, Datapalooza and National Day of Civic Hacking .
For 2017, the civic tech community has investigating implementing the following initiatives
Open Space/parks – specific idea was a rewrite of RGreenway as open source, direct feed from Open Data Portal
Bus/Dev – A minority/woman owned business focused startup portal
Community Health – Revive Stone Soup/NC Connects
Community Health – Find-a app for flu shots or other non-emergency room level treatment
Events throughout the year will also include a focus on the following Board goals:
- Community Health – Promote an effective behavioral and physical health system of care and practices that benefits all residents.
- Economic Strength – Create a business-friendly environment to attract, retain and grow business, diversify the economic base and create job opportunities for all citizens.
- Education – Through collaboration with education stakeholders, achieve a well-educated, skilled citizenry prepared for success in a global workforce.
- Great Government – Promote a vision of a county government that partners with all levels of government to empower, protect and serve its citizens through a culture of respect, collaboration and innovation.
- Growth and Sustainability – Establish a deliberate and realistic approach to address growth and mobility while preserving our environment and individual communities.
- People, Arts and Culture – Apply an interdisciplinary approach to seek out and harness the strengths of our diverse community and develop policies that reflect positive values, enhance our cultural activities, support artistic expression and improve quality of life.
- Public Safety – Provide a safe and secure community through coordinated, efficient and effective public safety services.
- Social and Economic Vitality – Improve economic and social opportunities in vulnerable communities through strategic partnerships.
Joining the Civic Tech Community
If you are an area resident, entrepreneur or civic-minded individual and would like more information on getting involved, we encourage you to visit the following resources: